From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 22:56:49 -0500
Hello Dee & All,
Thanks Dee for your honesty! Thanks Jerry for yours!What you are seeing Dee
is getting to be common. Those which have not yet seen CCD symptoms in their
bees
still persist with different hypothesis.

I see the same things as Jerry & Dee but on a very very small scale. My
guess is
most beekeepers are seeing some of the symptoms in a few hives. I have
observed 80-90% losses with CCD symptoms in others bees.

Lately I have not wasted my time talking to those which have not observed
the current problems as they seem to think it is PPB and just because they
have not yet seen the problem the problem can be explained away.

I also say Canada is in denial and my sources report plenty of CCD symptoms.

Sorry Joe W. but we are seeing things which we have never seen before. The
number one symptom of CCD in my opinion is an empty hive. Bees gone!

Unlike Bill Wilson's "disappearing disease" ( of which I was around from the
start) it
seems CCD is getting worse and spreading.

Spreading *seems* to point to a yet unknown pathogen.

Dee's bees have been
in isolation. Never been to pollination. Clean comb.

Hard to believe her problem could be a pesticide issue. However her symptoms
are similar to what we are seeing in the boot heel neonicotinoid soy bean /
alfalfa Ariel  boll weevil spraying area. One commercial beekeeper lost
every hive last fall. Not one survived.

The current DIE OFF (CCD ? ) problem is serious in my opinion. Right now you
can purchase packages, brood, nucs or queens to rebuild. When the industry
gets hit hard enough those things are not available we will be in serious
trouble.

You can question what is CCD but all beekeepers need to move past the name
CCD and realize their bees could well be the next to get problems. Another
point to remember is despite the fact the bees coming out of almonds look
great they did last year before the crash. The hard to understand thing
about the current problem is that the bees look great and then when next
checked they are starting to crash. The bees go down hill much faster than
most of us have ever seen before.

Sorry we do not see eye to eye on this problem Joe but you asked for an
opinion.

bob