From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:12:40 -1000
 About Dr. Rinderer  Congratulations and good luck . What is the bottom line
about bees  with mites and viruses?
  Andy Nachbaur  Hawaii was not included in the virus survey . Why Not we do
have mite free bees and it seems that Hawaii would have been included and we
would have insisted on more diversity with the researchers . Why in the
world was the USDA unable to do it's own testing without the help of the NZ
advocate D Anderson having to take the samples downunder to do the testing.
       Re; R Nettlebeck  request for praise of the USDA via E Mail.  My
messages have called for the USDA to be abolished or put under the
supervision of a congressional oversight committee for failing to "Protect
American Agriculture".... Beekeepers do seem to sit back and not participate
and that is too bad and now we beekeepers must unite to solve the huge
problems facing mainland beekeepers. ....And where are the US  bee experts
and why don't they comment. From my experiences they all have opinions and
they dare not express them as the honeybee scientific world is  very
politically inspired. ..... Where can bees be virus tested and how much is
the cost? I heard Canada was trying to develope a simpler method of testing.
Any work being done by USDA for quick field testing?  Who will pay for the
testing and the correction of the desimated honeybee losses being reported
by US beekeepers? Worchester county reporting 45 % losses. How long can this
go on? When does this become a national disaster? Will food shortages occur
when hiney bees are GONE?

    Concerned and curious

Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii

Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii

  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm