From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2013 22:41:44 -0400
> The size of US migratory beekeeping is apparently driven by almonds
pollination as the big earner.

Not all migratory operations of significant size "do almonds".  There are a
number who have (wisely, in my view) stayed East of the Mississippi River or
the Rocky Mountains, and pollinated other, more mundane crops.  They don't
have to get their colonies pumped up in February, nor do they expose their
colonies to the diseases and pests from adjacent operations in holding yards
and the almond groves themselves.

> will pollination fees rise to the level needed for colonies to be kept
only for almonds?

I don't think anyone would "only do Almonds", when every other possible
pollination opportunity would occur after Almonds, and be easier to prepare
for, as they would bloom during the traditional North American spring.
Colonies have to be taken out of the Almond groves after the almond bloom,
as there is nothing else for miles and miles in any direction to sustain a
bee.  If those colonies have to go somewhere, they might as well go
somewhere where working the blooms will earn another pollination fee, or
where a good honey crop can be made.