From:
Stewart Beattie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:22:01 +0000
I have been reading with interest the discussions over
the last few months on various soft chemical methods
to control varroa.
Has anyone followed up the East Europe procedure to
raise the temperature of the hive to 45 C.to drop the mites
I have read that this was first reported in Japan in 1970
and also in the Soviet Union.
The addition of a vapour of wintergreen gave a success rate of 95%
drop in mites in the hive.
The discussion on thymol seems to me dependant on securing a proper
distribution in the hive. Would using a Therm-box with thymol be
successful.
It seems to me if this worked a portable heater/blower connecting to
the bottom varroa hive floor screen and circulating via the roof would be
easy to construct. Provided an electrical supply was obtainable at the
apairy.
Can anyone comment on this method, or tried it.

 Stewart
Cumbria, UK. (an old Gable-Endie)