From:
Joe Mc Cool <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:46:29 +0100
On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 05:35:11PM -0400, joe bossom wrote:
> for those who use electric current to heat the wires that meld into foundation, what current/amperage do you use, DC?  AC?  I have a mini electro arc welder that was designed for melting hard silver solder, (jewelry makers tool) would that be appropriate for steel wire?

\\technical on

There is no difference between X volts AC and X volts
DC.  When we talk about X volts AC, we mean the RMS value ("root of
the mean of the square of the voltages"), that is - the voltage that has
the same _heating effect_ as X volts DC.

\\technical off

I myself have used a 12v car battery (DC), a cheap 6/12v battery
charger and I am now using a 240v->12v transfomer (ie AC) (out of a
school lab).  All work fine.

I too suspect your welder will be a bit of an overkill.  It may melt
the wires before it melts the wax !  Try it.

Thanks
Joe Mc Cool
Snark, currently Shannon Harbour
028 37548074, 07802572441