From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 02:53:56 -0500
<<<<<I have come under a bit of flack for a post a while back where I
mentioned that I sold honey to diabetics.>>>>>
<<<<<I understand that honey contains sugars, be they in whatever form,
and that this will raise blood sugar levels.>>>>

From what I can gather cane and beet sugar are both sucrose.  This is a
di-saccharide, a complex molecule of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms.
When taken into the body it is broken down into simpler sugars,
mono-saccharides, glucose and fructose, in order to be digested.  Most of
the sugars in nectars are also sucrose, which are broken down by the bees
in turning them to honey.
Thus as I see it, when beet or cane sugar or honey enter the bloodstream
there is no chemical difference from a diabetic's point of view.
Honey is a simplified and superior version of packet sugar witha flavour
and some vitamins, enzymes and trace elements.  Sid P.