From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:34:56 -0300
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have not heard the information Juanse Barros J gave , “Most probably EU
> will change the definition of honey to suppress the problem with GMO pollen
> "contamination",
>

> However, a solution to this problem which is being considered is to double
> the present distance between apiaries and GMO crops.

can you provide a source for this second statement of "double present
distance" ?

here is my source for my statement.

http://www.apinews.com/en/news/item/17095-eec-possible-solution-for-the-gmo-mouse-trap

Commission eyes solution to GM dilemma for honey: The EU’s executive is
considering tweaking current legislation to classify pollen as a natural
constituent in honey rather than an ingredient to overcome a  problem
thrown up by a European Court of Justice ruling on honey containing pollen
from Genetically  Modified (GM) maize. The ruling on Sept 6, stating that
honey containing traces of pollen from GM crops cannot be marketed in the
EU without prior authorisation, has raised major concerns for
import-dependent EU countries. The EU relies on sources from 3rd countries
where GM crops are prevalent such as Argentina as well as from key
producers such as Spain & Romania where GM MON810 maize is cultivated .
Monsanto’s GM maize MON810 was given the green light for a list of food
purposes inc. maize flour, gluten & glucose but never for pollen as a
foodstuff. DG SANCO services are eyeing changes to the EU’s directive on
honey that would clarify pollen’s status as a constituent & not an
ingredient in honey, thus avoiding lengthy & complicated authorisation
procedures. By classifying pollen as a constituent, testing on the whole
product would have to prove that the level of GM material exceeds the EU’s
0.9% tolerance threshold before a GMO label would be required. But imported
honey containing GM material non-authorised in the EU would have to be
banned. Technical proposals of this nature would seek to reassure operators
working in the honey sector & ensure a workable solution without disruption
to current rules, according to DG SANCO officials. Such a proposal could be
drawn up “rapidly”, they said.

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695