From:
LLOYDSPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:39:05 -0400
Paraphrased, Mark's questions and some of my thoughts are:

1.  Hives are wrapped and hole in inner cover is open...ok?
         If the hole referenced is only that in the center of the inner
cover, this is not sufficient.  In a climate like Vancouver (and in most
climates) you must have an upper opening directly to the outside.  Use beer
or soda caps under the front corners of the inner cover, a 1 inch hole in
the top super, or something similar.   If you do not do so you are likely to
kill your hive this coming winter!
2.  Will the wrap extend the brood cycle?
        Probably.  If you are not all ready doing so, next year use
Carniolans, which tend to shut down the brood cycle better than Italians.
If it were me, I'd take the wrap off.  If you don't want to do that, watch
feed levels every two weeks by lifting the hive.  Feed if necessary.
3.  Get a Varroa increase along with the increase in brood?
       Yep.  However, try to go at least 4 months before treating again.
4.  Did I wrap too early?
       Yep.  Either wait until the nights are always below freezing or,
better yet, do not wrap at all.   COLD DOES NOT HURT BEES.  Moisture and
lack of food hurts and kills bees.  They can stand periods of 3-4 months of
severe cold without any wrapping at all.
5.  Bees consume more feed when cold or warm?
       Bees consume much more feed when warm, as then they produce brood.
The best winter conditions are severe cold and Carniolan bees.  These
conditions combine to shut down brood production, while insuring rapid
spring buildup.

If your bees are going to be 'fooled' it will not be that winter is too
close...it will be because they will be too warm and will continue brood
production.  COLD DOES NOT HURT BEES, I'd say it 25 more times if I thought
it would really help.

Good luck...there are some really good beekeepers on the Island.  Look for
their honey in the stands, contact them, and get their advice...

Best of luck,

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com