From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:09:57 -0500
Could you be a little more specific Charles? Is it the swine flu you are thinking of? The evolved hogs inability to build pigloos? The wolf dodging ability/inablility of pigs on ice?

It was the pigaloo problem I was referring to!..  some creatures have trouble in certain climates obviously human shelter is an influence.   Heck  it is even true with bees.   Right now I have 1000 hives in a area of OK,  that has little to no natural  honeybees,  because of no nest sites.   We set 1500 supers on an open trailer  a few miles away and no bees have visited!  Set them close to a yard and they are mugged!

Pete wrote the following quote,  and it fits

Genomic dna, especially in the honeybee, recombines at a very high rate. I am not sure we influence this as much as we think.

IMO this is true of all our genetic manipulations.  Step back and look and our real success is slight at best,  Yes some cows do better at milk,  hogs are leaner.  But in the big picture these are tiny changes from 2000  (or 200) years of domestication and breeding.   Most if not all creatures still maintain a huge wild streak and all of the original traits.  Hogs are still hogs,  and ominviores.   Even dogs,  our arguably biggest success, still have problems such as hip dysplasia, or blindness in dalmations.   Is that a success??  Or say pit pulls that still attack humans?  Yes these are somewhat behaviors,  but my point is we have not been able to breed pigs that are as tame as rabbits.    Take cattle for example,  turn a cow loose in open range,  then try to round up her calves.  Good luck,  it will take a horse and a lot of work,  those calves will jump fences charge you  and leap out of trailers going down the road......

Simple point being as in honeybees,  I don't think humans have had as big as effect as we like to think.

Charles