From:
Fernando Esteban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2015 11:06:29 -0300
Dick

you wrote:

> "From the standpoint of pKa it really should not make much difference,
> both are going to be reasonably strong acids with close to the same pKa."

Thanks. This fits with my essays.

> "If you really want to know the ratio between the two esters a simple
> proton NMR spectra would likely give you an answer close enough for
> government work."

Here it is my limit right now.

> "Do you even know for sure you are making the ester in significant
> amounts?"

The following is the best explanation that I found. I make this experience
only with a stainless steel jar and a dish. I heated the mixture in my
kitchen and when it started boiling I removed the jar and I put the dish as
a cap. Vapors condense and I could smell the acid solution. Then it seems
that ester is formed quickly bellow 100 deg C
https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/formic.acid.html

>"From what I know it seems oxalic acid is safer to bees than formic acid
>even thou oxalic acid is a considerably stronger acid than formic acid."

In Argentina some beekeepers are reported that using a 6% solution of Oxalic
acid over the top bars they killed some bees. Also if spray do not form very
small drops it is the same risk.
We do not killed bees with Oxalic acid as gas (but the use of a mask and to
transport a generator with two or three heaters and the gasoline for the
generator, it is too much work and risks). Also all of these are very brief
treatments, only short instants. Two minutes per colony with the gas and a
few hours liquid over the top bars before evaporation. Furthermore, with a
strong colony of Italian bees, you need to remove a couple of frames to open
the nest. If not, the gas do not penetrate enough. Thanks to this we reduced
varroa below 1% last Autumn.

best regards
Fernando