Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:04:35 -0400
We regularly feed at around freezing temps with syrup above the cluster.
> Insulation helps.

All beekeeping is local. My syrup feeders can be placed to be generally
over the cluster.but I will not use them until we get warm days- 55F is the
cut-off. Even at 55F day-time temp, we will be around freezing at night.

I do not know of anyone here who feeds with day-time temps near freezing.

My problems with syrup occur when temps are in the mid 40s during the day
with no sun. First is overnight the syrup will be cold and take a long time
to warm up and might not do so at all. The second is that warm and cold
cycles cause the drip feeders to expel syrup on the bees which chills them.
So they can sit over the colony for several days doing more harm than good,
while a sugar/candy board works fine.

Third is the reports from beekeepers here in Maine who did shift to syrup
and their bees died of starvation. Reports are coming in now. We have been
in 40F days with cold nights and rain/drizzle over a several days. Perfect
conditions for starvation if the bees are not in direct contact with food.
Several who fed candy are replenishing it as the bees have gone right
through it. One of my hives ate a 5" hole in the sugar and I shifted the
board to re-cover them with solid sugar. It has been a very bad winter for
our bees.Going to be a lot of starvation.

A little background- with our winters we need about 55lbs and usually more
stores for the bees to get through the winter. That is two deeps to just
make it. Usually they make it but, in winters like this, they need
supplemental feed around early or mid March. March average temp for the
month is 42F daytime and 25F nightime. There is no way anyone would feed
syrup under those conditions.The best way to overwinter in Maine is three
deeps, but few of us do. Sugar boards work very well and allow
overwintering on two deeps.

I know some will say that two deeps is more like 100lbs + of honey. But..
with our cold, the winter cluster will leave most of the two outside frames
untouched. So you end up with only 60% of the honey available. Classic
starvation is dead bees in the center cluster "chimney" surrounded by honey
on either side. All beekeeping is local.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine