Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 19:27:12 EDT
I don't find gloves clumsey and with them I forget about pinching or
accidentally provoking them to sting which otherwise causes me to work slower
to avoid the stings.  I open the hive, make my moves, medicate, examine, and
close up very quickly.  Stings hurt.  I derive no machismo satisfaction from
a sting.  I am slightly allergic.  Stings cause swelling unless I get them
off quickly.  Gloves allow me to focus on what I want to do and if a few bees
get crushed along the way I justify it by believing that I stress them less
by handling them more quickly.  Despite wearing gloves, with 100 hives I
still manage to get 5-10 a year.  I believe there is roomin this wonderful
craft for differences of opinion.  The honey tastes the same!