From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:04:02 +0000
OK, there is a Belgian study which suggests that imidacloprid-
Hi Paul

OK, there is a Belgian study which suggests that imidacloprid-treated maize did not appear to be a threat to bees, though perhaps maize itself can be.

Earlier French research suggested that maize pollen may have around 1 ppb imidacloprid, if my memory serves me well.  Bayer claim that 185 ppb is the LD50 level, according to the article Brian Ames posted earlier.  Yet in California it seems to be legal to put this systemic and long-lasting compound into the soil in large amounts to treat a major bee forage, citrus in plantations ... and that the levels reach 4,000 ppb and may plateau around 500 days?!  Can you defend that in any way at all?  How come this was permitted by the regulators?

Does anyone out there know which countries permit soil application in trees - is it just the US?

best wishes

Gavin