From:
"Moote, John M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 02:33:36 -0400
In the "They still don't get it" category, I read today in "Inside R & D"
(Vol. 24 No. 25) that the USDA is developing new insecticides for the
California Medfly problem that will help calm the public alarm over
"...clouds of Malathion sprayed by helicopters across California...".

The new compounds, phloxine B and uranine, are dyes that become toxic upon
exposure to light (as in the transparent gut of a bug).  Since mammals are
not transparent, they are not affected.

The article ends with "Still to be determined: Do the dyes break down into
compounds that harm crops?"

Once again, our six-legged friends in the Apis genera get classed with the
other bugs in a notch somewhat below crops and mammals.