From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:33:05 -0600
Hello Bill, Brian & All,
I have tried very hard to explain the issue but both you guys keep missing
the point.

Bill said:
> My concern in this discussion is that imidacloprid was singled out as the
> cause of CCD. It obviously has not been implicated as the cause,but

For the last time I will say :
Up to this date is no *single* thing which has been found to have caused
CCD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why would you believe such a thing? I never singled out imidacloprid as the
sole cause of CCD. I certainly believe some of the reported CCD losses were
from the new neonicotinoids.

If you had read what Jerry Hayes said imidacloprid is IMPLICATED as a
suspect cause!

Bill said:
> I also know two large scale commercial beekeepers who blamed imidacloprid
> as the cause of all their problems, well before CCD, yet facts show
> otherwise.

Only two?

 The CCD team has NEVER been able to say systemic pesticides are not one of
the 4-5 suspect problems implicated as one of the possible  causes of the
2006/2007 bee die off.

Actually the name colony collapse disorder should be changed as the name
indicates that the die off was caused by a single cause.  I think most
looking into the issue know that the die off  was not caused by a single
cause. The die off of 2006-2007 has not been found to be caused by a single
anything and in my opinion never will be!

I am still phoning beekeepers but the higher number I call the higher number
claiming losses related to the new neonictinoids.  Tommorrow  calling two
bootheel beekeepers. the Missouri state entomologist, commercial beekeeper
in arkansas and another in alabama. I Spoke with David Vanderdusen and Steve
from Canada today. Heard from  California. No hive shortage this year in
almonds.
 Certain beeks still having troubles. Others the best bees in years!

it was not
> imidacloprid but the beekeeper.

At the Savannah ABF convention which I attended, took notes, and *recorded*
the Beltsville Bee lab reported its finding on levels of fluvalinate and
coumaphos in old  comb. The numbers closely matched those Kim used and Brian
wows at.
Since then I have been involved with a 50,000 hive operation and talks with
Beltsville over those figures. A couple of us( myself and another )decided
to replace comb. The others chose to keep the comb with the levels Brian
said wow about.

Today both the hives with the new comb and the contaminated comb are raising
strong hives. In fact I lost a bet over the issue. I do not regret my choice
to change out comb but the other beekeeper did. Replacing comb in my opinion
is a good thing but I can say truthfully that the levels in hives treated
with fluvalinate and coumaphos have not caused *those* beekeepers any
problems.  The proof is in the thousands of hives using the comb and still
producing strong colonies.

With my contacts I am very familiar with what is on those shop towels and in
almost all cases its the same mitacides which have been registered for use
around the world against mites. However I am in the commercial beekeeper
loop which many beekeepers are not. Before apistan was registered the bee
labs used those methods and taught beekeepers how to make the formula.

A higher number of tests are run in commercial beekeepers yards than has
ever been done by the USDA-ARS and certainly with higher numbers of hives.

Here is what Beltsville said at Savannah:
If you use either mitacide over and over the amount in comb levels off at a
certain level. The first year of use is lower than the second year but the
fifth year is about the same as the second year. There is however a third
spike on the mass spec machine from comb which has had both used.

I elected to remove all my comb which had ever had fluvalinate or coumaphos
used. others did not. Six years later I can say that the beekeepers which
did not take my advice and change comb have got hives thriving. When I asked
researchers to explain why those beekeepers did as good as the guys which
replaced all comb here was the answer:

Worldwide tests on high PPM of fluvalinate and coumaphos in comb only showed
two areas of concern.
1. drone problems
2. queen rearing issues.

Now the above is of little concern to the large commercial beekeeper which
does not rear his own queens and replaces all queens each year. Those
beekeepers when given the choice of comb total replacement (what I did) as
apposed to finding a few drone layers among supercedure queens chose to
continue on with the comb on which in most cases apistan and checkmite
legally had been used.

I know the subject was brought up in California and the USDA_ARS people said
its a good idea to rotate comb ( I agree) and some larva kill  *might* be
related to the fluvalinate & coumaphos comb. Interesting but not what I have
observed.

I have said the above before but do so now for the last time. We will have
to agree to disagree! I have received emails form other list members
wondering why you guys do not understand what I am saying.

I have had enough ( as Aaron would say!) of this subject!

bob

--
believed to be clean.