From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:39:44 -0400
I assembled 1000 deep wooden frames with gold colored Pierco in 2012 and
put 500 or so frames out and had them drawn out nicely on the 2012 spring
flow.  I extracted them carefully, stacked them up to take out to the bee
yards, and went to Ethiopia for 3 weeks (in other words, I forgot about
them).  About a third of the newly drawn frames had wax moth damage in the
center of the frames.  I just left them alone and mixed them in the
remaining 500 and put them all on this spring to see what would happen.  I
was pleasantly surprised to find the bees cleaned up the damage and drew
out excellent combs - no 'fins', or bridge comb to speak of and very little
drone comb.  Good job bees!  I took 5 deeps of the same foundation to the
NC mountains last week where there is a heavy sourwood flow on and pulled
the 9 brood combs from a 1 and a 1/2 story colony that was not doing too
well for nucs and placed a box of 10 frames of Pireco on top of the
remaining 6 and 5/8s super.  I checked the hive 3 days later and the bees
had just about fully drawn out the foundation in the deeps.  There was a
strong flow, and as Bob said, warm nights and days.  No complaints from me
on Pierco, and I don't add extra wax.

Bill Lord,
North Carolina