From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:02:17 +0900
>The bee veil wasn't sufficiently tight. It's possible that NO
>bee veil is sufficiently tight to stop 200+ kamikaze bees.

In my early beekeeping experiences, I would volunteer to manage hives for
farmers who no longer had time to pursue their interests, on a share basis.
I still do this (one-third for them, two-thirds for me).  This is of
advantage where hives would otherwise be neglected, creating swarming
problems, but where there was a sentimental value attached to owning hives
and the farmer could not bear to let the hives disappear from his
proprietorship.  Some hives have been abandoned and re-occupied,in some
cases with the comb completely eaten from the frames by wax-moth and then
replaced by the next swarm in a different orientation. Others did not have
frames, resulting in masses of unsupported comb continually used for brood
which could not be moved.  This reinforces the value of continual management
of hives as otherwise problem solving becomes a very sticky and painful
exercise.

On one such occasion my veil slipped from the supporting hat in the middle
of a paddock, while the bees were agitated.  At least 20 bees were inside
the veil and another 50 circling in a landing pattern aimed for the gap.  As
each bee reached the interior, it would line up and aim unerringly for my
nose.  The veil could not be readjusted because of the circling hordes and
after moving from one location of the paddock to another (trying to hide
from the hive line of sight behind trees), I gave it up as a bad job and
left the hive celebrating a successful defence.  Fortunately the lid was on
the hive although I did forget to close the gate on the paddock so there was
a quick phone call after I got home, so that the cow did not get out.

I had at least 12 stings on my nose.  Two hours later, WOW!  My face was
totally misshapen with enormous bulges.  The next couple of days I kept from
public view as much as possible, only taking time to reassure friends and
neighbours that the cause of my grotesque appearance was an over-dose of bees.

For some time after that I resorted to 2 veils when doing wild hive
removals, a folding veil inside a wire veil, which did at least prevent a
recurrence of having to hide from public sight.  However the one-piece suits
with hood attached have provided both of us with greater security (although
not 100%) and confidence and at least when a gap does occur, only one bee at
a time can get at me.

Such experiences either cause you to improve your technique or to give up
bee-keeping.  FWIW I'm still here :)

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island