From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:12:47 -0400
>*In my opinion* if you introduce a prolific Italian queen you will also see
an increase in varroa population.

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure,  but I want to see if domestic stock
will equalize varroa populations with the bees found
in my area.  I have been hearing reports from nearby
beekeepers who are known to use domestic stock,
that varroa problems have also been minimal for the
last few seasons, and surpluses good.  This together
with resurgence in ferals is interesting.

> Most feral colonies I have observed maintain around four
 frames of brood and the nest size depends on flows and
cavity space.

Its  been so long since I've kept domestics, and longer yet,
back to the times before varroa,  -I've forgotten much about
how a well bred commercial queen may perform.

What I am really after, is something I can use as comparison,
when doing colony evaluations.   I evaluate, based on what I
have, not what books say I should have. So I want to see what
commercial stock does along side ferals, and this should give
me some type of reference point. Not a contest, -just for
evaluation purposes.

>I am glad you are seeing an increase in the feral population Joe even if
there is no way to tell if some are from this years beekeeper swarms. Bees
reuse the same bee trees year after year so  its
hard to tell what is feral and what is from a new swarm.

Thats a good point, and I wont argue against that.  But what I am
seeing in the past few seasons, that I have not seen, or -rarely seen
since 95-96, -are these massive mature feral nests, abundantly populated,
with comb approaching 6 to 8 feet in length.  Massive mature colonies
are IMO are a sure indication of good health, -and something different
from what I've been seeing in the earlier feral recovery with nests
of 3 or 4 feet.

I cut a bee tree last saturday.  I left it lay, and need to get my friend
who is a logger to get his truck with a lift to bring back the 8 foot
section I had to cut.  I was expecting perhaps 4 foot which was
typical, but bee trees seem to be getting a bit larger.

Best Wishes
J Waggle