From:
Alden Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:09:12 -0400
Like to work your bees in a 'T' shirt and veil with invisible (to people)
and hardly ever get stung? At the same time do a favor to your skin with
nutrients and limited sun protection?
    Easy! Grind up some hard propolis, in the coffee grinder, to a powder
and mix with some good olive oil. Place in a warm environment. The propolis
will not dissolve but nutrients and odor (pleasant by the way) will leach
out in a few days. Rub some of this solution on your exposed extremities and
voila, lots of protection. One need not apply enough to feel greasy or look
oily. This is adsorbed quite quickly by the skin. If one prefers a cream or
bar form just ad to some melted bees wax. It has been said beeswax has a sun
screen factor of 15. I'm assuming this is for a thin film?
    I have used both for more than 20 years, work 200 hives more frequently
than I would like (mite Control) in the above described attire. I probably
am not quite as rough with the bees as some of the commercial guys but On
the rare occasions I have put on the armor I wouldn't have it any other way.
    On many occasion a ticked off bee will jump on exposed skin and stop
cold as if it was really puzzled, almost humorous.

Alden Marshall
B-Line Apiaries
Hudson, NH  03051