From:
Ivan McGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:53:00 PST
>I am mailing this to Pedro Rodriguez as well as to the list because I
>understand that he has withdrawn from the list.
>
>I am a regular reader of the list but a very infrequent contributor - I
>guess there are many members like me, possibly even a majority. The lack of
>tolerance displayed recently by a group with a strong common interest
>dismays me. We all suffer a common problem with varroa and there are many
>possible paths to a solution. Who knows which one will succeed?
>
>I am an academic with many year's experience ( so many that I'm about to
>retire and spend much more time with my bees) so I understand the need for
>thoroughness in research. What I have learnt is that ALL research is based
>on someone else's ideas so why all the fuss about Pedro not being the first
>to use oil (mineral or otherwise). I also understand that ideas need to be
>tested properly before we can be sure how effective they are. It seems from
>Pedro's comments so far that he hasn't done enough testing to qualify as
>scientific proof - but has he claimed this?
>
>What he has conveyed to me is that he has tried a treatment which he is
>convinced DOES work and which I think MIGHT work. It would be a disaster for
>me and many like me if the intolerance of a few members prevents me from
>learning enough to decide whether I want to try the method ior not.
>Mick Mayhew
>01203-838910

I do not contribute much to the list but the people who do should not be
ridiculed for doing so. Everyone has their own ideas about beekeeping and
how they do it is their business, good or bad as long as it doesn't effect
others.

If we do not learn from other places then we are no a narrow trail to
nowhere. Not all things work the same as some of you know. Any idea good or
bad should not be discarded as no worth of a test.

When I was a pressman apprentice so far back I don't want to remember the
the journeyman that was teaching me was from Sweden. He said learn all you
can from everyone, keep the good and discard what won't work for you. With
the same in mind I approach beekeeping the same way regardless of what
others have to say.

Thank you to all for contributing to the list.

Ivan
Prince George, B.C.