From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:19:14 -0800
Randy:
 Has anyone marked any exposed pupae to see if the bees
ever seal them back up?

Reply:
Just like uncapping queen cells in a incubator to work with
virgin queen drops into field for open mating, or even
doing so in an observation hive to watch you can learn a
lot. Putting freshly uncapped open worker brood or drone
brood into an observation hive with nurse bees from 'same
hive, same frame' with additional nurse bees shaken/brushed
 in off of adjacent brood frames, when you see patches
actively uncapped (not man deciding what to uncap here, but
the bees) at purple eye stage, you will see this if you
want to do it and try it.

When we shook down whole outfit and worked them back up we
had a lot to play with and several observation hives back
then to watch things, though don't do it anymore as hardly
see the circumstances anymore to warrant it necessary, for
our mites like secondary diseases are under control.

Also, one more thought, we didn't work with normal
observation hives. Ed had built special ones with fold open
workings, so I could put 2-4 frames inside and then slide
in glass prior to opening so I could see what I wanted to
see and then put back together. So I could pick where I
wanted to open some observation hives, then insert glass
and look, then put back together to make for keeping better
clusters and brooding similar to in field.

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby
Small Cell Commercial Beekeeper
Moyza, Arizona