From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:40:45 -0500
> If one is isolated from major mite immigration from outside (non resistant) stocks, varroa management is much easier.

RIght, but that is the reason the trial colonies and the control colonies have to be in the same location. If you isolate them, you introduce a new variable. My approach would be to use a location large enough where the control and treatment hives were separated by at least 1000 feet and better would be a half mile. On the other hand, we are talking about keeping bees in the real world.

Most of us can't find a spot that isolated. Even the Arnot Forest has commercial apiaries within two miles. Talking to Tom, he feels that the key to a honeybee/varroa balance may be large separation of individual colonies from each other. In other words, an apiary of one hive with 1000 feet to the next. Would not be practical for beekeeping but could be incorporated in a honeybee conservation scheme (honeybee preserves).

PLB