From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:39:20 -0600
So, is it myth or fact that lots of mails were placed on Bee-L about the truth or spin regarding colony losses in
certain locations in the US.

Seems to me that it may be possible to show support for each opinion.

Whether the positions are perceived as being credible
- each to his/her own.

But what I would like to know is:

What is the final objective of this thread as it is running at present?

It reminds me of what has happened in France 9my sphere of experience) regarding the saga of the Imidaclopride/ Fipronil
molecules and their effects on Honey bee colonies.

Big problems with losses were perceived/ observed, reported, denied. Culprit needed.

Depending on point of view, position in the industries involved, geographical location and personal experiences, the
classic "I know better, yes, no, not true, tis, not so" situation evolved and spread as fast a cold in a Doctor's
waiting room.

For those with dead, dying colonies - they were treated as trueful reporters of facts, whilst at the same time equally
as un-educated, poor substandard bee-havers. Depended on who was doing the quizzing.

Thousands, Hundreds of thousands of colonies over time were reported to be suffering from insidious pesticide
contamination, brought on by unheard of low levels of contamination.

Many losses were no doubt caused by poor beekeeping, chronic infestation etc. and blamed on the sitting target molecule.

Much cash from all sides of the equation tried to prove their point. Governments became involved, Industrial giants
cursed, protesting individuals labeled as anarchic eco- freaks with separate agendas.

They were and still are interesting times.

The result is, as it stands at present - that nobody has a definitive answer.
Colonies died. Businesses went under.
Beekeepers and associations divided and created deeper divisions where they already existed.
Academics appear to have the opinion that grass root beekeepers are to be untrusted.
Grass root beekeepers consider researchers as bought individuals indirectly working for agro-giants.
Certain company names have become modern day swear words, to be uttered with total contempt.

Oh, yes, it is possible to go on and on and on.........

My conclusion

It is far too easy to be derailed into Red herring situations, direct ones capacities into damaging senerios and reap
long term distrust.
Why?

Because there is a want to prove a point!

Details and data, with a pinch of stats. It makes one great cookie.

I lost out in France and moved.
I felt that I was of a limited few who really wanted the truth to come out regarding the losses in France.
Was unable to galvanize the opponents - and received the consequences from both.

Poor bees!

Peter