From:
GAVIN RAMSAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:12:59 +0000
Mon Cher Bil

>I thought the statement from the Department for the Environment, Food, and Rural Affaires ...

Pesticides are regulated in the UK by the Health and Safety Executive, an organisation that takes very seriously the health of both the people in the industries doing things that could be dangerous and the general public.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/guidance/industries/pesticides/topics/pesticide-approvals/legislation

I'm impressed by the care that they take, and would contest any view that the UK government is lax in the way it approaches either public or environmental health.  As regards pesticides, there are things which are done in the US which simply do not happen here - neonicotinoids as soil drenches and injected into trees for example.  The HSE have said that no complaints have come to them on bees killed by planter dust in the UK.  Those who are currently filling the pages of the UK national press with stories of planter dust and CCD are simply - once again - trying to press an anti-pesticide agenda whatever the true position may be.

best wishes

Gavin