Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:05:06 -0400
> Here in WA State, we have a very demanding program...
> ...the Master level is VERY demanding. Few make it through
> to the master level

I was looking at it last night and was quite impressed.
http://www.wasba.org/master.htm

> I disagree with the statement that only commercial beekeepers
> who earn their living from bees qualify for the title.

Well, I don't either agree or disagree.  I think that, in the absence
of a trade body or legislative mandate, that the title is somewhat
presumptuous, but harmless.

I know a number of people who have completed Master Beekeeper
programs who don't volunteer that fact -- or paint all commercial
beekeepers with a broad brush for that matter.

In thinking about it, I recall now that the Simon Fraser course
(now at UBC) is actually called "Bee Masters", not "Master Beekeeper",
(they know the difference).  It is really a short course.
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/beemasters/description.pdf

So I guess my son is just a Bee Master, not a Master Beekeeper.  I don't
think any the less of him for it. though.

I attended such a one-week course at Olds College many years ago.

I never did get a certificate and was never called a Master Beekeeper
-- or a Bee Master for that matter -- all I got was an education, a
hangover, and a career.  Is it too late to get that prestigious and title?

Interestingly, the Olds attendees went on to, almost without exception,
to become successful commercial beekeepers and to act as directors
and executive members of the Alberta association for many years after.

But, sadly, they/we are not Master Beekeepers.