From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 01:07:41 -0400
Mike,

We have a Vetch here in the Central Valley of CA that I have always called
Purple Vetch.  It was planted a great deal with oats as a forage blend to cut
for hay.  It has escaped fields and reseeded roadsides and fallow ground
everywhere.  Its been blooming for about a month now but the rain and crummy
spring temps have made it difficult for the bees to make much.  Here it
typically doesn't produce until the hills begin to dry up which is about the
middle of May.  We can usually count on a deep super or more from the strong
colonies. The flow is short (about 3 weeks) but it really builds divides and
the hives we put into the early melons.  The honey is a light tasting,water
white color.  Seeds are readily available but the draw back is that what does
well here will most likely respond differently in different locales.  If your
looking for a plant to "double-dip" with you ought to talk to the beekeepers
in your area.  They would probably be able to give you a list of possible
plants.

Brian Tassey