Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 16:38:01 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
In a message dated 96-06-08 15:27:04 EDT, Allen Dick wrote to me in private     
correspondance of some unclear statements I made.                               

>> Wheat we've seen has been clean of                                           
>> mustard, or else perhaps hasn't been sprayed.  The martins and               
>> swallows may have done a sufficient job.  They sure were "swarming"          
>> over the wheat fields.                                                       
>                                                                               
>What are we saying here?                                                       
>                                                                               
>Are you talking about herbicides?                                              
>                                                                               
>Do the birds eat the mustard?                                                  

Boy is this ever fuzzy!  I am sorry, and will try to proofread more          
carefully next time.                                                            

Most damage we've had in the early spring is from wheat spraying, which      
should not be a problem, as wheat is not attractive to bees.  However, the      
wild mustard is a common weed in wheat fields, and foraging bees are killed     
by the application.  This is, of course a label violation, to apply while       
bees are foraging, even though they are not on the crop; they are on a weed     
in the application area.                                                        

The pest for which the application is made is, I believe, a fly, which       
causes damage just before the wheat heads.  I cannot recall the name of the     
fly (perhaps Hessian Fly??).  The martins and swallows were working these       
fields heavily this year, and may have caused sufficient control.  I did not    
see any pesticide applications being made; they normally are aerial, and        
pretty obvious.                                                                 

I observed the martins and even more so, the swallows, concentrating on      
wheat fields for about two weeks.  It was obvious that they were feeding        
heavily on something that was only over the wheat.  In fact I got kind of       
high, watching them do their thing.  -Obviously a kind of biological            
control.....                                                                    

Hope this helps clear the muddy waters.  I'll pass it on to the list also,   
in case anyone else found it confusing.                                         

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC                 
29554                                                                           

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green                  
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html                                   

ATOM RSS1 RSS2