From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 18:38:02 GMT
As a new arrival to the Internet I have followed recent letters on
supersedure and swarming with interest.  It would appear that some
beekeepers have succeeded in producing a strain which supersedes whilst the
queen  is still strong and the stock productive. In a beekeeping career
(non-commercial) which started in 1930 ( I am now wearing out ) I, like many
beginners, started with a swarm.  I  progressed from bees which swarmed
regularly to non-swarming strains by selective breeding.  I had dreams of
bees which would regulate themselves.  What I found was that in almost every
case the stock dropped below the productivity level before the bees
attempted to supersede.  During experiments I allowed stocks to carry their
queens to three, four  and even five years  before they decided to
supersede.  Some left it too late, ending up with a drone layer or the queen
dying during a non-laying period.  It soon became obvious that having got
rid of swarming it was essential to requeen regularly, usually the second or
third year. Whether it is lack of luck or lack of skill I cannot persuade my
bees to look after themselves.
Many are finding swarming a problem.  It certainly is, especially where
neighbours are concerned.  Unfortunately too many start their beekeeping
career, for economic reasons, with a swarm and then proceed to increase with
swarm cells.  Swarm queens are usually first class  and it is a simple
method.  Such bees are programmed to swarm annually and no matter how much
brood and super space you give them they will want to swarm.  Today we are
in control and swarming, once essential for survival, is now an anachronism
but try telling the bees that.  Luckily the urge to swarm varies widely and
by careful selection of mother queens it is possible to reduce swarming to a
very low level in a matter of five years.  You must first find a stock which
has not swarmed in at least three years.  You then have something to work
on.  Alternatively go to a beekeeper for eggs or queens who has already
reached that goal. If you wish for peaceful beekeeping  may I humbly suggest
to all beginners that  you never, never use queens from swarm cells to stock
your hives.                                                           S H P
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England