From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 08:34:43 -0700
From: "Peter Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 8:04 AM
Subject: Re: Creamed Honey

"don" <[log in to unmask] in message
news:cTRa8.59492$Ig2.16183213@news1.elcjn1.sdca.home.com...
Creamed honey is simply crystalized honey, but the crystals are very fine.

Not quite so.

My understanding is that crystallised honey - whatever the crystal size -
consists of a rigid lattice structure of glucose crystals with liquid honey
(high in fructose) in the spaces in the lattice, i.e. there is a rigid
framework of glucose crystals and the honey appears to be a solid mass.  If
the crystals are large, then the honey will have a gritty texture.

If this crystallised honey is then stirred by some means, the crystal
structure is broken and  we then have creamed honey - which consists of
broken glucose crystals in the remaining liquid phase.  This creamed honey
will not re-set, but may be gritty or smooth depending on two factors: the
size of the crystals before stirring and/or the method of stirring; if we
start with fine crystals then the creamed honey will always be smooth even
with gentle stirring, but if we start with large crystals then the creamed
honey will be gritty unless we break the crystals down using a grinder (or
high speed food processor).  Obviously, high speed agitation will tend to
incorporate air - which is not desirable as it will rise to the surface
forming an unsightly 'scum'.

Commercially, honey is either fed between rollers set very close together so
that, whatever the size of the original crystals, the resulting honey is
smooth - or is packed using a homogeniser (like they use to make mayonnaise)
which again breaks the crystals into very small pieces.

I would suggest that the best way for small scale production is to try to
avoid coarse granulation by seeding with a fine grain honey (rape is ideal)
when it is extracted; it is then a simple matter to bottle by warming the
honey gently and then stirring it.  The temperature used will depend on the
particular honey - I find that most can be heated to 102F without damaging
the structure, but some honey this year containing some borage (or
'Starflower') may subsequently frost if it is heated above 94F.  Of course,
a great advantage of creamed honey is that it does not frost if prepared
correctly.  I have two jars on the shelf in the honey house which have been
there since September 1997 (from the first batch from my new bottling tank
fitted with stirrer) and they are still perfect.