From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:42:43 -0500
On 25 Mar 99, at 15:29, Computer Software Solutions L wrote:

> What I would like to know, did I do the right thing by adding the extra
> brood chamber?. And is there anything else I could have done or should do
> now?.

A nice problem to have. I can't even get to some of my hives yet!
If that was my problem I would have opened up even further and rather than
putting the new box on top, where it becomes a honey super, spread it
through the hive by rearranging things.  Sealed brood can stand a cooler
part of the hive, so it could be  pulled up into the top box, and the open
brood could be left in the center of the nest.
        I firmly believe in reducing congestion by opening up the brood area and
the big fear regarding chilled brood rarely happens.

> And why should just one hive in eight be absolutely bursting with bees?

If someone can answer this one he must have a crystal ball. Possibly a
better queen. I've seen queens from the same mother be good, some
mediocre, but it's not predictable every time.

> And a final question should I use the queen as a breeder, all other things
> being equal?.

Most certainly. The aim of every breeder should be big hives, slow
starters are generally useless, especially for pollination where big,
early, is a first requirement.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-New style foundation.