From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:14:14 -0700
Hi, all.

   Last June 22nd I posted a rather lengthy comment about a three-part
series that Steve Tabor published in the AMERICAN BEE JOURNAL in the April,
May, and June issues. In brief, it seemed that he is quite far behind the
times on the issue of honey bee recruitment to food sources.

   I wrote personally to Steve and pointed out some of the problems with
his contributions.  In addition, I approached Joe Graham, the editor of ABJ
and indicated that I would like to publish a response.  He graciously
agreed.

   The first of a three-part series in response to Tabor just appeared in
the October issue of ABJ.  It appears that the second and third parts will
appear in the following two issues.

   In large part, the content of that three part series is based upon
research results obtained by Larry Friesen, as follows:

  1973    Friesen, L.  The search dynamics of recruited honey bees, Apis
mellifera ligustica Spinola.  BIOLOGICAL BULLETIN.  144:107-131.

  For those interested and willing to read a scientific paper, I have a few
copies of that contribution and can mail them upon request.

                                                                Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                    (805) 963-8508 (home phone)
967 Garcia Road                     (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

* "...in the drift of the years I by and by found out that a Consensus *
* examines a new [idea] with its feelings rather oftener than with its *
* mind.  You know, yourself, that is so.  Do those people examine with *
* feelings that are friendly to evidence?  You know they don't."       *
*                                                Mark Twain            *