From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:09:25 -0500
>The country codes are used only as an administrative technique so the
>subsidiaries of the barcode-issuing company can sell codes with less risk
>of creating duplicates. While you might assume that a US-issued code
>implies a US-made product, the bar code is not proof.

I agree with what Mike has said but also realize that there are some
country information concealed in some bar codes.

I went through the General Motors training school and was trained for the
parts department and what seems like a bunch of letters and numbers in a
serial number has complete information about the vehicle *if* you understand
the code.

U.S. label laws leave much to be desired and efforts to fix have been slow.

Country of origin on honey labels is fairly recent and not very specific.

Still limited to certain products.

If I had my way honey made in China would have "Made in China" in huge
letters on the front of the jar!

Maybe a picture of a beekeeper in a tent with a dirt floor squeezing honey
out through a T-shirt with only contaminated stream water to rinse equipment
with .

bob