From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:46:55 -0500

> >Canada's case,  sure looks like its may end up as the same mess,  where
> politics and emotions rule the day.
>
> >We have been discussing this on a FB thread,  seems there are  several
> Midwest beekeepers who never want to go back.  I hope you guys can slow
> down and take a good honest look before  yet another war with the farming
> community takes place.  A battle between farmers and beekeepers is always
> going to be a no win situation for us.

I am not sure who you are referring to with "you guys."  I didn't think my
post was "anti-pesticide."

Health Canada's reasoning here has little do with pollinators or
beekeepers.   As I pointed out, their previous assessment released earlier
this year concluded that the risk to pollinators was low.   The proposed
phase-out that was announced earlier this week is due to the effects of
imidacloprid on aquatic insects and the food chains they support.   That
line or reasoning sounds far more likely to be based on science than public
or media pressure.  The could have easily turned it into a publicity stunt
about "saving the bees".  Its also worth mentioning that unlike the EPA,
the PMRA(Health Canada) is mandated to operate under the "precautionary
principle".

I believe Morrissey's study is still in progress, but she talks about some
preliminary findings in this article.  It is worth mentioning that the
wetlands  she is studying are in Western Canada where beekeepers aren't
complaining about neonics at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/pesticide-contaminating-prairie-wetlands-scientist-1.2482082

There is so much focus and controversy on the effects of neonics on
pollinators that in the background there could be sound reasons to
discontinue there use that have nothing to do with bees.

In short - it isn't all about us

Adam
Barrie, ON