From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:53:46 -0800

> "PROBABLY reflects a long period of co-evolution between the mite and the
> bee"

The word "long" refers to evolutionary time, not human lifetime.

> >I would rate absconding behind
> 1. Vj. not able to reproduce in worker cells
> 2. V.J removal from cells. In fact cerana leaves a pin hole in its cells
> until the last possible time which is believed so cerana can detect and
> remove V.j
> 3. very short postcapping time as compared to mellifera
> 4. absconding (could be no. 3 but I still would say 4.)

Bob, good points, but let me add my two bits worth:

The literature indicates to me that  varroa avoids laying eggs in worker
cells because of #2, as opposed to inability to reproduce.

You also left out grooming, which allows them to clean up the colony during
periods of broodlessness.

Also, the thickening of infested drone cell cappings, so that
multiply-parasitized drones can't emerge, thus sealing the mites in a tomb.

All traits for which we should be selecting in Apis mellifera!

Randy Oliver