Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 20:10:17 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
>You left this out

Actually, I specifically noted that one should read the explanation for details.

But more to the point is what you left out (in pointing out what I left out):

"The following statement has been submitted by 26 leading corn insect scientists  working at public research institutions located in 16 corn producing states.  All of the scientists have been active participants of the Regional Research Project NCCC-46 "Development, Optimization, and Delivery of Management Strategies for Rootworms and Other Below-ground Insect Pests of Maize" and/or related projects with corn insect pests."

No, we don't know who these scientists are...but presumably the signed letter will be seen by those making decisions...and their qualifications considered.

>Too bad. I work with industry and I am not afraid to say what I think.

Err, I've heard you be critical of some research done in labs where you worked...but were you vocally (and on the record) critical _while_ you were working there?  Sign a letter saying that the research the lab you are working at is flawed (you've been willing to say this after the fact)?  If these are, in fact, scientists that are directly working with insects on GMO crops, it would be fatal to their funding to sign such a letter.

Ideally we would see the signatories....but keeping the names out of the public document is far better than submitting an anonymous letter.

deknow