Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:46:46 -0500
I have been thinking about Randy's comments, and the area under the chart
lines I imagine to be created under his suggestion, and the area under the
actual data plot lines charts I present on my site at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/files/drop.htm

Randy said,
>When I look at your "average" chart, I see a baseline mite drop level typically
>between 10 and 20 mites per day, punctuated by spikes after you treat. But
>my point is, if your oxalic treatments were effective, I'd expect to see the
>baseline drop permanently after each treatment, and to near zero after four
>treatments! That doesn't appear to be the case. "

...and I think the simple answer is this:

If we stayed at Randy's baseline of, "between 10 and 20 mites per day" for
62 days straight, we get a total drop of 1240 mites dying naturally over that
time, far fewer than I counted.

If use my data and we start at 14.5 mites.day and taper (linearly for the sake of
convenience)  to the 4 mites we see dropping today, sans the oxalic effect
we get an expected (14.5+4)/2 x 62 = 574 naturally dead mites over the
period of my observations, also far less than the real count with OA treatment.

The real cumulative average drop is 2279 -- by actual count, far more than the
projected 574 (or 1240) natural mite deaths predicted.

In the first, artificially skeptical case, we would still calculate that the treatments
killed 2279-1240 = 1039 more mites than the background natural drop -- even
that natural drop is exaggerated.

In the second case, using the actual data, then the treatments killed
2279-574 = 1705 mites more than could have been predicted to die and drop
naturally, or 3.97 times the expected natural drop over that time, (subject to
the assumptions above).

Quod erat demonstrandum.