Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:41:05 GMT
>>Queen laying restriction will encourage swarming instinct, not
restrict it.

I am not sure about this.  In many European countries where periods
of nectar shortage are very predictable and long, beekeepers with
bees that don't slow down brooding use 'frame cages.'  The queen is
often allowed to lay only in 4 frames and the colony will maintain a
good size field force that's mostly idle for the duration.  Swarming
is said to be a thing of the past.  [I have not tried this myself.]

>>Perhaps the better thing to do is keep 4 mating NUCs instead of a
full frame nuc.

I like this idea!  I wonder if a 2-frame nuc would be as good.
Honestly, I never tried maintaining queens in such small structures
for extended periods of time.

A 2-frame nuc in a 5-frame hive body (the rest of the box closed off
to the bees during the busy season) could be given additional 3
frames in the second part of the summer in order to establish a
sufficient overwintering cluster...

>>Swarms are undesirable but a small swarm is better than a large one
in urban conditions.

Indeed.  The smaller colony would be much easier to inspect [if only
to cut out swarm cells once a week].  The wife said she was very
interested in learning about bees.

>>Maybe a stupid idea, but I think it would work for your friend's
needs and give him/her a constant supply of bees...

Not at all.  Thank you!!

Waldemar