From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 06:21:16 +0000
> >Ok - This may sound dumb to you experienced folks - but this novice
> >beekeeper just bought 50 deeps for a good price that have
> >experienced rather heavy wax moth damage.
> >. Steve Davis Clackamas Co. Oregon
>
> Steve, I would keep those away from my own hives till winter.  Leave
> them outside and let the moths do their work.  They have started it
> they may as well finish it.  Then clean the frames, buy some plastic
> cell foundatiion inserts, and thats the end of your problems,
> mostly.  If you keep the moths away from your hives, till cold
> weather, the cold, freezing that is, will kill the moths, the
> larvae, and the eggs.  Then its safe to bring them to your beeyard.
> Other wise, you'll have a big problem.

Well it depends what you'd call 'rather heavy wax moth damage' and
which type of moths you have.

And it depends where Clackamas Co. Oregon is.

If you get cold winters that's one thing.  If you are on the coast,
that is another.

While Bill's advice is good - especially if you have temperatures
down to below zero F. that are sure to penetrate your equipment, it
may apply less if you don't.

If the damage is mostly visual, and the combs are more than cocoons
and frass, it might be best just to put them on the hives for the
bees to clean up.  *In our area*, good bees and weather beat moths
every time.  We have had moths here a number of times, but they never
manage to accomplish much because we do not store much equipment in a
cosy tight space where they can get going.

Moths - and especially their larvae - cannot survive if they are in
a well aired out place.  Simply stacking the boxes criss cross
outside so the air can get at all the combs will usually put and end
to them for all intents and purposes.

Personally. I'd find a local commercial beekeeper and seek his
advice.  You may have more problems than moths.  Was this equipment
inspected by a knowledgeable beekeeper for AFB before you bought it?

These subjecst have been covered from time to time over the past few
years on this list, so you might like to search the archives.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                    VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>