From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:26:33 -0700
> My 6-mesh screen uses wire with a diameter of .020".  Bees do go through it.

Well, I'm not certain that bees *cannot* go through it.  I do know that they do
not like to go through it and I have never seen any do so.  I know that angry
bees can get through the little grommets in some bee helmets when inspired, so
maybe the bees CAN get through my mesh but are not motivated enough.  Dunno.  I
used to use 5-mesh screen for queen excluders when I ran 100 Farrar hives some
25 years ago or more.  Worked well.  FWIW, Honeywood Bee Supplies in
Saskatchewan sells bound 5-mesh excluders.

> Allen, why do you use six mesh for the reasons mentioned?

I had a lot on hand from some project years back.  It worked fine for the
purposes stated, so I went and bought some more.  As with so many things, there
is no reason, I've just always done it that way.  Now, doggone it, you are
making me think!

Somewhat off topic, but related to this: Jerry B. mentioned some time back that
he had pollen scrapers that worked well in Montana, but when he took the hives,
pollen scrapers and all, to Maryland, suddenly the bees could not get through
the same holes they had gone through days previously.  No explanation --
although we have speculated.  I brought this up at a table of bee scientists the
other day, and I think they all agreed that larger cells and new comb do not
necessarily produce larger bees, so that explanation is out.  Another thought
was that  the coastal humidity changed the chitinous shell somewhat.  I have
another insight: maybe the early bees were not well nourished and a bit stunted,
but a later generation that took over at about the time Jerry noticed were
better fed and larger.

allen

-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.