Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:53:19 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Having not seen the movie, I envy those who have; however, reading this thread, the following thoughts occurred to me albeit I never intended to aim my thoughts to any particular individuals.

Why do we always focus on treating symptoms, and not *eliminating the root causes*?  

When are we going to look at the causes we, by and large, have created?  Breeding alone is too reactive, if possible at all, and never preventive.  This reactive linear way of battling bee pathogens has been proven, time and time again, impossible to keep up with.   We will soon be run over by the treadmill (name all the varroa-fighting chemicals we have used in the past here).  Name one treatment that has not worsen the bee-disease, ultimately.   

In America, cancer feeds more people than it kills.  What’s wrong with this picture?  Look at the big Pharms that “develop” and “market” new treatments each year and rake in money under the pretext of “finding a cure.”  Do you think they are really interested in curing cancer?  Do you suppose it is in their vested interest to research root causes?  Imagine they have finally found the root causes of all cancers.  That discovery will put an end to their billion-dollar industries overnight, a reason they must not and cannot focus on finding the root causes.  Hence, they feed us nearly everyday with new “scientific breakthroughs” in cancer treatment, business as usual.  As the French saying goes, the more changes there are, the same things remain.

Cancer is their cash cow, period.  Can you name one successful *breeding program* whose benefits have persisted into modern era of beekeeping, having survived several decades?  A successful breeding program has to be an ongoing treadmill, too, since the external variables mutate and most important, since it focuses on treating the symptoms, never on finding and eliminating the root causes looking at us blank in our daily beekeeping practice.

Just a thought.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned 
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2