Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:20:47 -0800
--- On Sat, 1/15/11, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote: "However, the main stimulation for broodrearing is fresh pollen, not nectar.  In fact, stimulation by syrup alone, if there is not adequate pollen will actually put the colony under protein deficit."

In addition to my feeding of light syrup, I have included pollen substitute patties in each hive.  I've started out with 1/2 size patties (about the size of a playing card and about 3/8" thick).  I did this about five days ago.  I was able to get into the hives today and check and all the hives are utilizing the patties to various degrees.  One hive has almost completely consumed the patty so I will be adding additional patties as needed.  I did observe bees occasionally bringing in pollen and I've noticed the initial start-up blooming of henbit in some areas.  I'll be able to check on red maple blooms tomorrow since my church planted about twenty of them along one of the approach drives.  I think the bees are starting their spring buildup around here (southwestern Alabama).  Thanks for the tidbit of info on hive needs for initial brood start-up.

Mike in LA