From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2015 08:33:34 -0400
> I am still waiting on one real hive flow to be delivered.

In their defense, working prototypes were provided to several people,
including a few here in the USA.

But none of the people to which prototypes have been sent have posted any
photos or any detailed comments on operations and usage, a strange thing,
given that those selected to get prototypes were selected not for their
statute within the beekeeping community, by how much they posted to the
various web-based beekeeper "discussion boards".  So rather than sending
prototypes to qualified "applications experts", such as a university Ag
extension rep (i.e. John Skinner in Tennessee), the prototypes were sent to
people who would post about it, but not reveal very much detail.  So I
conclude that NDAs were signed to limit the postings to vague, but
supportive comments, and people were selected for how much ONLINE interest
they could generate, especially among those with little or no hands-on
beekeeping experience.

The inventors have already made more than enough money, so wish them well,
and hope that they deliver on their promises.  They do have the option of
simply folding their tent, taking the money, and apologizing to the
"donors", but I can't imagine anyone even loosely connected with beekeeping
would ever consider such an option.

An all-too-common cautionary tale is the one for the "Kreyos" waterproof,
voice-activated smartwatch, which raised $1.5 million on Indiegogo.
After many delays, a watch was shipped - but lacking nearly all the features
that voice and gesture controls, waterproofing only to 1 meter, not 5, and
no way to communicate with any cellphone.
To be blunt, the 1980s Casio C-80 smartwatch (I couldn't show more techie
cred here if I whipped out a slide rule) was not all that far behind from
what was shipped here.
But a photo of the designer with a new Ferrari showed up on Facebook, and
everyone went nuts.

The biggest problem with "Flow" is how simple physics will make the "Flow"
fail to flow. The viscosity of honey increases when it is less warm.  Some
of my fall harvests have been accomplished when there was a distinct chill
in the air.  I am sure that I am not alone in this experience.  I guess one
removes the assembly from the hive, takes it inside, and lets it warm up to
allow the honey to drain, but this would be the exact "heavy lifting" that
the device claims to eliminate.

As an aside, in all other areas of agriculture to which I have been exposed,
the producers hang on the every word of the Ag Extension rep from the local
land-grant college.  In beekeeping, the producers argue with the Ag
Extension reps, because they think they know better.  My friends who own and
run orchards think that most beekeepers are certifiably insane for this
precise reason.