From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 05:43:04 -0700
While we as an organization don't spend time recoating old plastics, I did give my son a bunch that
were eaten up by moths after being mistakenly abandoned for a Florida summer (rough on bees here).

I think the fastest way is to let the moths eat up the old comb off the foundation in old boxes, scape off and lightly brush

off the debris(poop, etc) and dip them into a turkey cooker over a gas burner (available at Walmart, etc).
Fill the tank most of the way with water and put in enough nice wax in the water to get about a three inch layer; heat it to a light

boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Adjust the temp until you can dip the comb into the pot, count to about 8 and pull it out;

tap the comb over a plastic bin to knock off excess wax. Tweak it out so the foundation doesn't warp.

When you're done, you can remove a thin layer off of somewhat dirty wax and you can start with fresh water and wax the next

session. All the crap from the old equipment collects in the water and is dumped.

His newly drawn comb really looked great and the bees really jumped on it and drew it out fast with a thicker coating than factory.

I have found that Pierco makes the best one-piecer's. The cheaper Chinese crap made and sold by other companies had ears that broke off. I like the wood and insert combo best, but in a pinch the one-piercers can make some beautiful comb. The issue is what to do with that much more plastic to dispose of. You can't burn them for various reasons like the old wood and wax combs. There are environmental issues to contend with. That being said, I could see wood and plastic inserts being used and reconditioned for many, many years with re-dipping.

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebookfor Kirk
Facebook for the Benzie Playboys