From:
JOHN HARBO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 15:33:00 EDT
Dear Robin,
I have marked queens in their cells, but I have only marked queens that
have shed their pupal skin (wings extended).  Queens shed their pupal skins
about 9 hours before emergence.  It is easiest to get into the cell if
you use wax queen cups.  With a sharp knife, I nearly circumscribe the cell
near the base.  This is done at the base where the wax is thick and there
is no coccon silk to cut through.  A small section of was is left to serve
as a hinge.  The cell can thus be opened and if the wings are extended, the
queen can be gently shaken from the cell, marked, and returned to the cell.
and the cell can be reclosed.  I usually use the plastic, numbered disks,
but I suspect paint could also be used.

Sincerely,

John Harbo
ARS-USDA