From:
Mike Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:47:03 +0000
Mr. Govostes wrote:

<As I have related to some in the gang, I have overwintered top-bar type
<hives here with great success.  However, they had upper stories of honey
(&
<bee space between the bars) so the bees just moved upward as they normally
<do over winter.
<
Would it be possible to use a standard deep box as a
honey super during nectar flow that used only top bars or regular
frames with starter foundation strips?  Would the bees just
build cross bracing/random comb instead?  Or could one modify
the box with an angled piece of wood on each end to encourage
the "V" comb shape?

All this would be done on standard deep brood boxes for wintering
purposes.

Just a thought,
Mike Quimby
Knightstown, IN