From:
Mike Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 13:16:21 -0500
It has been postulated that many species/species interactions don't allways
result in one species dying out.  The interaction can result in shades
ranging from 100% antagonistic to symbiotic.  Some plant fungal
interactions (think mycorhiza probably evolved this way. this is a system
that evolved into one benificial to both organisms.

I think that the facets of such relationships can be much more complex than
just one organism endangering the fate of another based on
paricitism/predation/etc.  There are layers of interactions.

For example two organisms meet and affect each other ( a straight forward
act of paricitism) but then this new association could allow other systems
(viral,bacterial,etc) further afffecting the whole interaction.

Interspecific exchange of virus or bacteria that were formally not thought
possible further affect the relationship.

It becomes quite complex the further one looks into these associations the
more interactions at a macroscopic and microscopic scale become apparent.

Just my angle.

Mike