From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:10:06 -0600
Hello paul & All,
Paul said:
> But CCD is appearing in places where Imidacloprid isn't hardly
> used.

CCD for the most part seems to be a name for bees dying or deadouts.
Actually very little of those deadouts contained the symptoms which fit the
CCD team description. Many beekeepers filled out the survey hoping for a
government handout.

Ask for a survey this year and say a 3 pound package will given for each
hive claimed as lost and see how the CCD states light up!

Now there certainly are problems with our bees. I am in contact almost daily
with commercial beekeepers and I can honestly say that most of those having
troubles this year had troubles last year. A few new beeks are reporting
troubles but most have a good idea what caused their losses. Also if  the
problem in Dave Hackenbergs bees had been a new pathogen then radiation
would have solved the problem and it did not. Davy hackenberg said they are
down to around 900 hives with only a third strong enough to split. So all
thats left in the Hackenberg issue is contaminated comb which could not be
removed by radiation. Hackenberg suspects neonicotinoids.

I never said neonicotinoids are the cause of the so named CCD.  However
neonicotinoids in my opinion are causing some problems and in my opinion
will continue to cause problems. The reason is they are systemic and can be
found in both pollen and nectar. Also that the amounts found can change with
soil buildup.

Pesticide issues are difficult to prove but the chemical company  has
provided beekeepers with a PPM number which will kill bees. When we find
dead hives and those PPM numbers then we know who owes us for the hives. If
happens then if the payouts get too high for the chemical company then I
would imagine some use on plants bees visit will be pulled.
What I just said is not coming from me but commercial beeks pollinating
neonicotinoid treated crops.
I am not sure what might be in the planning stage for sub lethal damage to
bees but the actual hive kills with high levels of neonicotinoids found will
for sure result in a claim. My source said that the chemical company is
responsible as they have said neonicotinoids would never be found other than
small PPB amounts. So beekeepers have a starting point.

Do you agree Paul that if beekeepers find a yard of bees dead and when the
comb/pollen/honey is tested the level of neonicotinoids are at the level the
chemical company has said with its own research is lethal to honey bees
those beekeepers have got a claim?

I do believe CCD is not caused by a new mystery problem.  The CCD issue has
resulted in many things learned about our bee problems and hopefully the 4
million research dollars supposed to be spent will result in new information
which will help beekeepers.

Bob

--
believed to be clean.