From:
Robert Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:35:57 GMT
Hi everyone,
The following is for consideration, and not as a correction. Put
another way, what i say below is only my opinion and i do not wish
to convey any authority behind it.

> The queens that you purchased last year had a broader random opportunity of
> uniting DNA with prospective mates by intentional process, than they would
> have had if left to their own devices. This "structured randomness" is good
> for the species! It strengthens the bee on our continent in a way that they
> themselves are incapable of doing right now. Good for man for doing something right!

Whilst id agree in general, because what you have done is allow the
opportunity for sperm to fertilise eggs from drones that would
normally be outside the queens mating flight territory. Assuming
partial genetic isolation by distance this artificail form of
panmixis will allow all genetic components to be mixed...assuming
they are capable of fertilising the egg (development
thereafter to a functional adult imago is the same selective pressure
and constraints as "normally" fertilised eggs).
The only point id draw is that you are bypassing female mate
selection (which male she copulates with...some evidence for this
in A. mellifera), and sperm allocation after multiple mating (i.e.
which drone she preferentially uses the sperm of.. no evidence in
A. mellifera to my knowledge but it hasnt really been looked for
so cannot be excluded), and thus selection against certain male
traits. This method also to a large extent removes sperm competition
(again not ascertained if it occurs in A. mellifera).

Is this a problem. Is artificial insemination a bad thing. IMHO, but
i am no expert, NO. {Artificial insemination would only remove the
ability of males to induce sperm competition, or alter female
selction against certain male traits if done persistently without
wild type matings over succesive generations.
Enjoy
Rob

Robert Butcher,
Evolutionary and Ecological Entomology Unit,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Dundee University,
Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Tayside, Scotland,
UK.
Work Phone:- 01382-344291 (Office), 01382-344756 (Lab).
Fax:- 01382-344864
e-mail:- [log in to unmask]