From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:32:07 -0400
I have taken a three deep observation hive apart and put the frames in an
empty super and filled the rest of the box with drawn comb.  This was done
at this time of year after I was finished using the hive for fairs and
demos.  The super was placed over an inner cover of another hive which had
both sides of the hole screened.  The frame that had brood on it was placed
in the center.  An inner cover was then placed over the super and a jar of
sugar water was placed over hole, leaving enough space for the bees to pass.

An empty super was the placed over the top to protect the jar of sugar water
and then a top.  The bottom inner cover had a place cut out for the bees to
use as an entrance.

This proved to be the most successful method for me.

One year this method worked so well that it was my heaviest honey producer.
If you have the hives and the time these things are always good to try.
They are teaching tools that success can be measured and many things can be
learned.  From little experiments like this you can see different things you
can try and soon you will have lots of pieces that go together.

billy bee