From:
Zach Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:35:35 -0400
Thanks for all the praises...
I took most of photos at beetography using a digital SLR (single lens reflex),
specifically D70 (now about $700 for the body), with a 1:1 micro (60 mm, about
$350) which allows me to have a large magnification.   It is much easier to catch
bees with this camera (shutter delay of 0.06 sec, 3 frames per sec, 600 shots per
battery charge) than my old coolpix 990, which has a shutter delay of 0.6 sec and
often times bees would be gone when the camera took the picture, it also took a
while to focus, plus I have to wait for 4 sec before the next photo and I often ran out
of batteries (60-80 shots per set of 4 AA).

I purchased about $2,000 worth of camera equipment 1.5 years ago, so there would
be no question about the copyright issue.

On this particular photo, taken Sept 23rd, 2004, I used 1/500 for shutter speed and
aperture of f25 (thus more depth of field, some say the deflection of very small
aperture, those < 14 would cause fuzziness, but I have not found it to be so).  With
such small aperture and high speed, I usually end up using the flash (onboard) to
supply additional light.   I have to check my note as to where I took it, but I suspect
that right at MSU apiary.

I can upload a powerpoint show file to my web site about how to take bee photos (I
gave a talk at HAS this past summer), if there is a demand... or better yet,  invite me
to your local bee club :) :)

here is a link to a MSU news about beetography:
http://newsbulletin.msu.edu/july1405/honeybees.html

a link to WKAR radio about beetography
http://wkar.org/morningedition/story.php?storyid=806

sorry for all the self promotion!